Coolidge Ave location named to NH Register of Historic Places
As Phaneuf Funeral Homes and Crematorium celebrates their 100th anniversary this year, their Coolidge Avenue location marked a milestone of its own. The building at 250 Coolidge Ave. was recently listed in the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places. The register identifies, recognizes and protects buildings of historical, architectural and cultural significance. The property is also being considered for listing with the National Registry of Historic Places.
The Queen Ann-style building was constructed in 1906 by Eugene and Marie Quirin on the west side of Manchester- an area that was rapidly-expanding at that time. The house was constructed on some of the land owned by the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company. Eugene Quirin immigrated to Manchester in 1883 from the Alasce-Lorraine region of France. Over the next several decades, Eugene Quirin became a prominent businessman, opening an import business, grocery store and travel agency. Upon his death in 1945, the Union Leader noted that Eugene Quirin was among the City’s most notable and prominent citizens. In addition to his successful business ventures, Mr. Quirin was a well known philanthropist and was very active in numerous social clubs, often serving on their board of directors. Today, the Quirin family crest can still be seen at main entrance of the building.
President Taft at Cercle, National, Manchester. Eugene Quirin: 2nd from Left
The building was purchased in 1955 by Arthur O. Phaneuf to house his expanding funeral business, opened by his father in 1906 in Nashua. It has been used as a funeral home by the Phaneuf family for over 50 years to service the needs of the French-Canadian communities and others who lived on the west side.